Menu mobile

Crossing the border from South Africa - Do I need an International Driver’s Licence?

So you're planning to cross a border from South Africa and you're not sure if you should get an International Driving Permit on your next self drive trip or not. Although it is not compulsory, Drive South Africa strongly recommends you should get an International Driving Permit. In South Africa, it is important to get your documents ready for whenever you want to hit the road to that awesome destination. Here is why:

What is an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a legal document which supports your South African driver's license or any other country's driver's license. 

Why do I need an International Driving Permit in a foreign country?

Some countries do not recognise your national South African driver's license, but officially recognise an IDP. It gives vital information from your driver's license in various different languages, including English. The document not only serves as a verification of your South African driver's license, but also as an additional source of identification and helps to break down language barriers when travelling in non-English speaking countries. 

You need an International Driving Permit when:

You want to use a vehicle abroad but don't speak the local language

There are many countries which do not have English as an official language.  The IDP provides translation of your South African driver's license into several languages as well as the 5 official UN languages. Your license will then be read and understood in all countries. 

You need to rent a car or get insurance while abroad

The IDP assists you when you want to hire a car abroad. It speeds up the whole administrative process and protects you when you have to provide your driver's license. The AA strongly suggests that you obtain an IDP if you want to drive a vehicle abroad.

Crossing borders into Namibia.                                               Photo: Hannes Steyn.

How do I get the International Driving Permit?

You have to download the IDP application form and supply other documents (See below). Go to AA's official website and download the IDP Application form here

How much is an IDP?

The IDP is approximately R249.00 per permit.

What photos should I provide?

You need two ID or Passport photographs which must be gloss.

What else do I need?

You need a valid South African ID or passport or certified copies of your ID. These copies must be dated and not older than two months.

Do I need to take both my South African driver's license and International Driving Permit?

Yes. The IDP is used in conjunction with your South African driver's license. When you are stopped you need to supply both to a law enforcement officer.

I am in South Africa but have a Namibian driver's license. I want to cross the border to Mozambique. Can I obtain an International Driving Permit in South Africa?

The IDP must be issued in the same country that you got your driver's license. The AA can, however, assist you with the application and will send the documents back to the issuing authority of your country. If you have an IDP from another country and it has expired, you have to get a new one in the country where you got your license. Read here for more info on obtaining an IDP for other countries such as New Zealand and the USA.

Cheréne Pienaar

Cheréne Pienaar Title: Blog Contributor
Affiliation: Drive South Africa Blog

Born and bred in Bloemfontein, this Free state gal is an obsessive reader and hiker and loves discovering... all the time. As an e-marketing assistant and copywriter she believes social media is the future and plans to conquer Africa one word at a time.

View all posts by

Related articles


Kruger National Park tightens on its border control


Airport car hire South Africa

Share this article:

4 Responses on this page.Add your own

  1. Gravatar buks says:

    I want to travel from South Africa via Botswana to Namibia.
    What permits do i need.
    +- 15 days tour.

    Reply to this comment
  2. Gravatar gerrit vd merwe says:

    I am going net week into botswana from SA - what is the meat regulations for own use

    Reply to this comment
    1. Gravatar Asanda says:

      Hello Gerrit

      Thank you for your enquiry via Drive South Africa. Please see link below for some assistance on your query: AND

      As an alternative, I’ve added the consulate contact details should you require more information:
      Johannesburg 2017
      South Africa
      Tell 011 403 3748
      International: +27 11 403 3748
      Fax: 011 403.1384
      Internationsl: +27 11 403 1384

      I hope this helps. All the best with your trip.
      Thank you.

      Warm Regards,

      Reply to this comment
  3. Gravatar Luther says:

    ในรุ่งอรุณกลางวันทีแรก ข้าวของเครื่องใช้หล่อนแห่งนครแม่นางแถมขึ้นไปภายในยุคสมัยพืช พร้อมด้วยเที่ยวไปเพราะการเขย่าตัวรื่นๆเจ้าหล่อนมาพร้อมด้วยทางผ่านดี ในการเดินทางก่อนหน้าในจะเข้ามาร่วมการประชุม ข้าวของเครื่องใช้ทุนเดิมการเงินระหว่างชาติเส้นผมปฏิบัติการในที่ลอดมาที่ดินระวาง

    Reply to this comment

Leave a Comment

Search & Compare
  • Dropoff same as pickup?

Comodo LogoThis web site is secured using a Comodo Digital Certificate.

Drive South Africa accepts all major credit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Diners

Rental ConsultantsWould you rather chat to a consultant? Send an email or phone us:+27 87 806 7330

satsa-logo.png The Discover Africa Group is a proud member of SATSA and therefore your rental deposits for future bookings are bonded.

Drive South Africa is a division of the Discover Africa Group.

About SATSA membership.